Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Profile--Down Memory Lane with Lora Conrad

(This post continues our series about our Board Members and how they came to be involved with Shimek State Forest and FOS.)

You are surely destined to spend your life with horses when one of your first memories is holding onto the collar of a plow horse as it pulled the plow and your father walks behind down a cotton row. My next memory of horses is being three and “leading” the horse back to the barn alone at the end of the day, getting him over a terrace out of sight of Dad, and climbing up the harness to ride instead of walk back to the barn. So---except for those years of college and beginning a career, horses have been part of my life as they are today. For the 50 years we have been married, my husband Ray has supported my love of horses ---he's mowed, and hayed, and cleaned barns and sat with sick horses too.  For a few years, we lived in Tennessee where I had Tennessee Walking horses and a Missouri foxtrotter that I moved back home to Alabama. Struck with love of Arabian horses, I raised a half-Arab, half Tenn Walker filly---beautiful but not gaited. I finally purchased my first pregnant registered Arab mare in 1988.

When my husband Ray and I moved to Iowa from the sunny south 14 years ago, I brought 11 Arabian horses with me that Halloween night who thought the lush green pastures they saw the next day were a treat. Six weeks later when the snow and cold hit, they knew they'd been tricked!

Within a year, I had somehow heard about the area dressage club now known as Great River and through that group met Ann Bennett. I then asked Ann to start two of my young fillies since she is an excellent trainer of Arabian horses. Ann and I have worked together on several projects over the years, one being the Great River group. Through Great River I made many friends that now volunteer with Friends of Shimek. After a year or so, thanks to our farrier and Marsha's initiative, I met Marsha Achenbach who promptly introduced me to Shimek State Forest and its 25 miles of trails. At group trail rides and riding with Marsha and her husband Bob, I've enjoyed many great hours on horseback in all seasons---from January 1st rides several good years to sweltering horsefly laden days in August---all have their own joy. The most wonderful days being those spring days with redbuds blooming and bluebells on the hill sides, tiny spring beauties underfoot and numerous other flowers adding to the beauty along side the trails as you ride. With Marsha's good guidance on the Shimek trails, I've never gotten into the quicksand nor gotten lost. However, she has gotten to laugh at me often as most every horse I've ridden has dumped me in some unexpected fashion or the other when riding with her. (I'm thankful for helmets.)

I met Debbie Miller one year around a campfire at Shimek and only met Neal, Lala, Ringo and Brenda when we all began getting together to work as volunteers at Shimek. John Byrd---since he does not ride---darn it---I met when Ann, Doug Moothart and I went to his office in 2011 to talk to him about starting Friends of Shimek.

Now with each FOS Group Volunteer Day, I meet more great people who also care about Shimek and want to help protect and improve the trails both for our enjoyment and safety and to preserve the beauty of the natural resource that is Shimek Forest.
 Lora and her half Friesian-half Arab gelding Kalan
 riding up a trail in Shimek. NOTE HELMET!
(Photo by Kelly Britnell)

Lora doing what she does best.
 (Photo by Clay Smith)



No comments:

Post a Comment